Board index  »  Audi  »  Bought Another Car...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 am
User avatarPosts: 4293Location: Chardon/AkronJoined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:34 pm
...and this time it was an Audi :D

2008 Audi A4 Avant 2.0t

The important parts:

AWE Gt2871r stage 3 kit (GIAC software)
AWE FMIC
Custom K&N intake/heat shield
AWE downpipe/HFC/exhaust w/ Magnaflow race mufflers
KW V2 Coils
All sway bars upgraded
Southbend Stg3 endurance clutch

plus a ton of other little things it's got done to it. Far too many to list here (Click here for the AZ classifieds listing)

I can't say Im not happy with this purchase... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:27 am
User avatarPosts: 990Location: Akron, 44310Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:17 pm
Sweet! Gotta love the avants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 am
User avatarPosts: 3452Location: Stow, OHJoined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:24 pm
Congrats! You got a reall winner there.

Get a belly pan. It will improve air flow to cool down the engine bay better.

Get the timing belt service done ASAP. Waiting 80k miles is too long. Should be done every 60k to 70k miles.

You going to put on the CF hood?

Get some S4 seats (stick with B7 S4 for compatibility with the wire harness plugs). Get a flat bottom steering wheel (S-Line).

You should take it to a dyno to see what power it's putting to the wheels. Let me know so I can see how much less I have in mine... LOL.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:31 pm
User avatarPosts: 4293Location: Chardon/AkronJoined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:34 pm
I think I have about 10-15k before I hit that 70k interval. Ill look through the service records to figure out when exactly it was done last.

I dont think I am going to put on the CF hood. Even though it's painted to match, its too fragile for these areas, IMO. I am, however, going to put on the CF splitter that he gave me. Just needs some new stainless hardware.

I've been looking at S4 seats already haha. That'll be more of a long-term item since theyre pricey and Id rather spend the money with the more important items first. If I change the steering wheel, it has to have the multifunction controls. SOOOOO NICE!

Before I take it to the dyno, i want to sort out a few things... while the car pulls SUPER strong (i wasnt able to get the tires loose at all on wet pavement :D ), it seems to be running super rich at WOT - so much so there's a noticeable black "cloud" behind me. I suppose thats better than it running lean, or the smoke being white/blue... but I am going to be taking the car over to Pilny to do some bench racing... in the mean time Ill be doing some datalogging to figure out what the conditions are while in boost.... but I am baffled as to why it'd do this when all things point to that it shouldn't.

Other things that need attention (unfortunately):
- Needs the whole front clip repainted. Daily driving put a lot of chips. Also has a few dents up there, but theyre minor and would be taken care of when the front end gets redone. Also needs a new windshield for the same reasons
- The ribbon cable connecting the RNS-E screen to the nav unit is wonky. It doesn't seem to be fully seated into the screen's connector, so if it gets jarred out of position the screen gets all garbled. Looking into a fix...
- Exhaust has a bit more drone in the cabin than I'd like... I can deal with it, but long term will be looking into alternatives to make the cabin drone less significant
- Subwoofer/loudspeaker doesn't seem to be working 100% right... almost sounds like its blown, but I cant see anything and it only sounds like its blown when it really wants to punch, it seems.

Other than that... the car is perfect. Im amazed at how well the KWs ride and how much more ground clearance there is on this car than any other VW ive owned (and this car is tucking tire!). Its such a vastly different driving dynamic from that of the GLI... the GLI is fun to throw around, but this just seems better in almost every regard. Plus... the added utility of it being an avant is going to make it even better :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 1685Location: Mayfield Hts., OHJoined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:04 am
alpha_omega wrote:
I think I have about 10-15k before I hit that 70k interval. Ill look through the service records to figure out when exactly it was done last.

I dont think I am going to put on the CF hood. Even though it's painted to match, its too fragile for these areas, IMO. I am, however, going to put on the CF splitter that he gave me. Just needs some new stainless hardware.

I've been looking at S4 seats already haha. That'll be more of a long-term item since theyre pricey and Id rather spend the money with the more important items first. If I change the steering wheel, it has to have the multifunction controls. SOOOOO NICE!

Before I take it to the dyno, i want to sort out a few things... while the car pulls SUPER strong (i wasnt able to get the tires loose at all on wet pavement :D ), it seems to be running super rich at WOT - so much so there's a noticeable black "cloud" behind me. I suppose thats better than it running lean, or the smoke being white/blue... but I am going to be taking the car over to Pilny to do some bench racing... in the mean time Ill be doing some datalogging to figure out what the conditions are while in boost.... but I am baffled as to why it'd do this when all things point to that it shouldn't.

Other things that need attention (unfortunately):
- Needs the whole front clip repainted. Daily driving put a lot of chips. Also has a few dents up there, but theyre minor and would be taken care of when the front end gets redone. Also needs a new windshield for the same reasons
- The ribbon cable connecting the RNS-E screen to the nav unit is wonky. It doesn't seem to be fully seated into the screen's connector, so if it gets jarred out of position the screen gets all garbled. Looking into a fix...
- Exhaust has a bit more drone in the cabin than I'd like... I can deal with it, but long term will be looking into alternatives to make the cabin drone less significant
- Subwoofer/loudspeaker doesn't seem to be working 100% right... almost sounds like its blown, but I cant see anything and it only sounds like its blown when it really wants to punch, it seems.

Other than that... the car is perfect. Im amazed at how well the KWs ride and how much more ground clearance there is on this car than any other VW ive owned (and this car is tucking tire!). Its such a vastly different driving dynamic from that of the GLI... the GLI is fun to throw around, but this just seems better in almost every regard. Plus... the added utility of it being an avant is going to make it even better :D

Like I've said to you before ... once you own an Audi, nothing else will ever feel quite "right". Always a nice pick up on a clean Avant, that's for sure. :thumbup:

As for the tune, I'd have Pilny look at it, but I'd also have Josh look at it as well. He's been working with Unitronic pretty closely on a lot of his projects and I know they have a BAMF tune for the 2871 FSI motors. Another tune might be something to look at if the AWE is running too rich. It also could be that the 2871 is being tuned "back" to save the motor too. Not sure if the 2.0t's have the same rod strengths as the 1.8t motors do, but if so, that 2871 might be enough to exceed that.

In any case, the problems there are are relatively minor. Repainting the front end can come with time ... it's Ohio, we have shiatty roads and you have a quattro-powered Avant, so I know you'll have it on the the snowy roads this winter. Paint for me is a secondary expense (obviously :cough: GTI :cough:), but, like Paul has done, it can quickly get out of hand with painting, repainting, chip repair, repainting, lol. From the pictures, it doesn't look obscenely rough, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for the RNS-E, well, I have mine you are welcome to buy, or, when you get some money together, Steve and I know some people on the Audi forums that sell the turn-key package for the updated 2010+ version. It's a bit pricey ($1299), but it's worth it if/when yours finally kicks the bucket. I don't think there is a repair available for the ribbon cable as I think it's integrated on at least one end, but search the forums, there might be a hotfix out there for it.

Exhausts for the B6/B7 Audi's are pretty pricey, so be prepared that you're not going to find a stainless exhaust for these for much less than $1200 new. That being said, I've seen several Corsa's and several other exhausts on AudiZine recently for ~$500 used. Might be a good option to explore that won't kill the bank balance.

The Subwoofer? Please, breh, get those dual 15s like Jimi and I were talking and make that bish bump ... haha, jk ... but there are a bunch of DIYs on how to upgrade the stock sub to something with a little more kick without destroying your wallet. You just might have to do a little more interior disassembly and grunt work than you'd have to do in models past. For a small 8" or 10" sub on a small 500-1000w amp though, it really shouldn't be that difficult to get one running that looks good and is inexpensive.

But anyways ... enjoy the Avant, enjoy the 300whp, and enjoy the SAT module because that might be disappearing from your trunk one of these days :p

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:31 am
User avatarPosts: 2632Location: trees&acornsJoined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:34 pm
Nice pickup man :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:15 am
User avatarPosts: 4124Location: Auburn, ALJoined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:45 am
congrats :wave:

Offline Profile WWW